Sunday, March 8, 2009

Drizzy Drake Rider or is it Drizzy Drake Rodgers?




It seems as if one month ago most people had no real idea who Drake was, and now it seems you can’t ride down the block or read a rap blog without his name ringing out. This phenomenon is like many others where the fans from the jump are now pissed that their favorite new artist is getting blown up. Now lets be honest I knew about Drake back in his Aubrey/Wheel Chair Jimmy days, word to Degrassi. So I can see where people are coming from, as they don’t want their favorite artist going commercial. That’s the thing with Drake though he is who he is being with Young Money didn’t make him a gangsta, chillin with Trey Songz didn’t make him stop singing so real success won’t change Drake. Now back to the beginning, when my brother called me and said you have to listen to this song Ransom by Jimmy from Degrassi. Now me being the asshole that I am I refused to listen to a track by somebody off a Canadian teen soap opera especially one with Wayne that shit don’t mix. So I waited until the force of Drake became too much I started grabbing up the mix tapes and listening to him feature on Wayne and Young Money tracks and the kid was the truth. Now for other heads like me knowing about Drake was a privilege we could talk about him as our own special talent that was until, So Far Gone. So Far Gone is Drakes latest mix tape, which even if you don’t know it you’ve heard it. Drake kills the whole mix tape with his rhymes and a singing voice that Kanye and half the people in the R&B gang wish they had. Drakes mix of a smooth southern sound and an up north swag have made for one of the must see artist of 2009. So if you run back to you’re XXL top ten talents to watch you won’t see Drake, it’s not your fault it’s theirs.

- S. Beamin


No comments:

Post a Comment